- other projects
Quiet Lightning is a San Francisco-based literary nonprofit now in our 11th year. We’ve evolved over the last decade but remain true to our spirit: an accessible community platform for creative expression of all kinds.
Started in 2019, the Disruptors program – a limited-term board membership open to the public – is a way to regularly bring new ideas and energy into our organization. After a successful pilot round, which brought on four new members for the past year, the board has decided to restructure so that in 2020-2021 Disruptors account for 4/9 of our board votes. You can read more here.
Effective immediately we are accepting applications for this year’s round of Disruptors, prioritizing applicants who identify as Black, Indigenous, Queer, Trans, and/or as a Person of Color.
As Disruptor, you will be involved in the following:
- Taking ownership of – producing – one of the following literary mixtapes in 2020-2021: Nov 2, Feb 1, May 3 or Aug 2. This includes curation, venue selection (if applicable), and adherence to a fairly strict (but obviously very doable) timeline.
- Working directly with a point person (Liaison) – a member of the Legacy Board or someone thereby authorized – to help oversee your show’s production.
- Working directly with the rest of the Quiet Lightning board of directors, receiving full voting privileges for one year and fulfilling the responsibilities of all board members to advance the mission of the organization. You can read our current board responsibilities, but we are planning to revisit everything from our mission on up during this timeframe and are looking for people who want to have an impact on the future of Quiet Lightning.
- Attending at least 50% (2) of the board meetings between Sept 2020-Sept 2021.
- Completing a survey at the end of the year, providing feedback about your experience in an effort to improve both the process and organization.
- Help shape a dynamic, inclusive, accessible nonprofit that provides a platform for all local artists regardless of medium, style, or experience.
- Have an immediate voice within the organization.
- Propose (and lead) an initiative (or more than one initiative) for a new series/project to receive Quiet Lightning’s organizational support.
- Read/perform (if you’d like) at the end-of-the-year anniversary party featuring all Quiet Lightning board and staff.
- If at the end of your term you’d like to remain on our board of directors, you are invited to join our Legacy board unless there are any dissents (in which case we would take a full vote). Those who serve on our Legacy board remain members indefinitely, unless they are voted off or resign.
- Submissions are open now through end of day Wednesday, 8/19.
- Announcement of QL Disruptors – and our new board – at our show on Monday, 9/7.
If you have any questions, ideas, or thoughts you want to share, please don’t hesitate to reach out: evan AT quietlightning DOT org.