- other projects
Featuring: Baruch Porras-Hernandez » Natasha Dennerstein » Sarah Arantza Amador » Cassandra Dallett » Sage Yockelson » Danielle Bero » Jennifer Barone » Jill Tydor » Claire Calderón » Riss Rosado » Tomas Moniz | Jason Ridler » William Taylor Jr. » Vanessa Wilkinson » Tony Press » Brennan DeFrisco » Natasha Dennerstein » Ari Moskowitz » Heather Bourbeau » Natasha Dennerstein » Elizaye Quate » Josiah Alderete
How much/what else: Free, all ages, and open to all—the first 100 people will receive a book featuring all of the selected writing and cover art by local artist Darlene Alvarez! Thanks to a grant from the San Francisco Arts Commission all selected artists will be paid, and will read/perform as a literary mixtape, with no introductions or banter.
thanks to everyone who submitted!
76 submissions, accepted 20 (26%)
8 first-timers (40%), 12 returning (60%)
Baruch Porras-Hernandez (2x)
Cassandra Dallett (13x)
Jennifer Barone (1x)
Jill Tydor (2x)
Tomas Moniz (7x)
William Taylor Jr. (8x)
Tony Press (1x)
Brennan DeFrisco (1x)
Ari Moskowitz (1x)
Heather Bourbeau (2x)
Elizaye Quate (1x)
Josiah Alderete (1x)
It’s going to be @ Clarion Music Performing Arts Center!
Submissions are open for our next show on May 4, 2020, which will be virtual and live-streamed!
We're accepting writing of all kinds to be performed as a literary mixtape. All selected authors will be paid + published in sPARKLE & bLINK 105, featuring cover art by a local artist.
This show will be curated by Katie Tandy and Lauren Rosenfield.
Submissions are open through end of day Wednesday, April 8, 2020.
Shown above: from Tools for the Exchange of Force by Claire Rabkin, cover artist of sPARKLE & bLINK 104.
- Send us any kind of writing. Any kind! Make up new kinds and send them to us.
- No one gets more than 8 minutes of reading time. This varies of course but don’t send us more than 1,500 words unless you’ve timed the piece(s) multiple times and your speedy performance of the text somehow enhances it. We sometimes make an exception to this rule, but rarely.
- You may submit more than one attachment, but the word count of your entire submission should not exceed 1,500.
- By submitting, you commit to be (virtually) present for the date: Monday May 4, 2020.
- Do not put your name anywhere — neither in the submission itself nor in the subject/title/filename of your submission.
- We publish the accepted submissions in sparkle + blink for every mixtape show. It’s OK to submit previously published writings, but please let us know where they were published so we can give proper attribution.
- You may submit audio, but all submissions must include full text.
- We welcome and encourage submissions in any and all languages, but all submissions must also contain an English translation.
Don't hesitate to contact us for any reason: email@example.com.
About Quiet Lightning
Now in its 11th year, Quiet Lightning is a San Francisco-based literary nonprofit with the mission to foster community based on literary expression and to provide a safe and supportive arena for said expression. Our flagship is the literary mixtape, a submission-based series with a completely blind selection process and different curators for every show, for which there are no introductions or banter. The shows are published as books, handed out free to the first 100 people at each show. All participating artists are paid. We’ve now produced 133 shows, featuring 1,566 readings by 817 different authors in 90 venues and 110 books, curated by 64 people. Quiet Lightning also maintains Litseen.com, a daily calendar of literary events.