- other projects
Hi there. If you’d like to co-curate one of our shows, you’re in the right place. This is now a tried-and-true process˚; we have now had nearly 50 different curators! It goes like this:
- Send an email to submit AT quietlightning DOT org
- Tell us why you want to put a show together.
- Tell us why you’re qualified. This can include any number of things: a fortune spent on formal education, attendance at a large number of Quiet Lightnings, you’ve written 10,000 poems this year… endless, really, are the potential qualifications.
- Curating a show requires a commitment of, at minimum, 12 hours of intensive focus—often more, and in a specific window of time (our submissions usually close at the end of the Wednesday three weeks before each show, and everything needs to be decided by mid-afternoon of the following Sunday).
- Curating precludes you from submitting. This should be obvious, but needs saying.
After you send us a note with the above information (and commitment), we will send you a confirmation email and review your application. It doesn’t need to be formal at all. We will start a collection of interested parties, an, each month’s curator (who will be either a Quiet Lightning board member or staff member) will be allowed to choose whoever they want as a co-curator; they do not have to choose from the pile of people expressing interest, but will have those applications to consider.
˚ Until December 2012, at our three-year anniversary show, curators were decided based on frequency and availability. Now, in addition to the five founding board members (Evan Karp, Kristen Kramer, Charles Kruger, Meghan Thornton, and Chris Cole), curators have included Nicole McFeely, Ceri Bevan, SB Stokes, Sandra Wassilie, Josey Rose, Christian Lee, Sarah Griff, Janey Smith, D.W. Lichtenberg, Kelsey Schimmelman, Lauren Traetto, Katie Wheeler-Dubin, Ian Tuttle, Spencer Kaidi, Sarah Ciston, Sarah Carpenter, Emma Smith, Lapo Guzzini, Caroline Kessler, Allison Hummel, Sara Marinelli, Shideh Etaat, Sean Taylor, Alexandra Kostoulas, Nora Toomey, Christine No, Gianna Badiali, David Welper, Carolyn Cooke, Charlie Getter, Jennifer Lewis, Heather Bourbeau, Matt Leibel, Joanna Licoce, Maisha Z. Johnson, Spencer Latham, Bel Poblador, Tess Taylor, Kate Folk, Prartho Sereno, Jonathan Carroll, Olga Zilberbourg, Brianna Nelsun + Hannah Rubin!
profile by loonarcity
- phren-Z, Live Reading
- Daniel Alarcón
- Maggie Nelson
- Martha Ronk + Brian Turner
- Writers With Drinks
- Voz Sin Tinta: Our monthly bilingual poetry series and open mic.
- POETS! – featured readers to be announced followed by an open mic
- Bay Area Generations #52
- Poets Kim Shuck (SF Poet Laureate) & Jerry Ferraz – POETS! – featured readers followed by an open mic every first & third Monday
- Red Light Lit Holiday Show