- submission details
- other projects
Posts by: evan
We’re publishing a magazine called vitriol, part of a new bimonthly series that brings together musicians and authors. The release party for the first issue is Sunday, December 14th at 6:30pm at Doc’s Lab, with readings by Melissa Stein, Maw Shein Win, Benjamin Wachs, and Jason R Jimenez, music by Shenandoah Davis and Sean Nelson! 21+, $15 includes magazine
Because we love the challenge at the end of every year to select six of the best pieces we published—in 13 books, two chapbooks, and a magazine, featuring 118 different authors!—this year we’re thrilled to have nominated the following:
- Elena Mauli Shapiro: “December 25, 1989″ « watch • read
- Matthew Zapruder: “To Sergio Franchi” « read
- Peter Orner: “Shhhhhh, Arthur’s Studying” « watch • read
- Kai Carlson-Wee: “Holes in the Mountain” « watch • read • bonus video
- Christine No: “Mattress Man” « watch • read
- Colin Winnette: “Ghost Mountain Island Murder Mystery” « read
When you have a chance, treat yourself and give them a watch:
We’re doing a yearlong back and forth between visual art and writing, concluding with a gallery show and reading in December 2015. We’re currently open to visual art and would love you to submit, or to tell someone you know… the first two selections will launch us off on an unpredictable series! Let’s see where they take us.
@ green apple books on the park, jan. 5
And submissions are open! Through the end of Wednesday, December 17. Do it. Read in that beautiful bookstore. Get in there; sparkle + blink for the first 100 people. Curated by Sara Marinelli, Shideh Etaat + Evan Karp.
report from the emerald tablet
Would love to see you on December 14th!
This month, as Quiet Lightning celebrates five years, we’re proud to present a literary mixtape, an art exhibition, the kickoff to a yearlong ekphrastic project, and a chemical wedding with a magazine premiere:
December 4, 7:30pm (6:30)
The Emerald Tablet, 80 Fresno St.
$7-10, no one turned away for lack of funds
Readings by: Alex Peterson, Katie Wheeler-Dubin, Sarah Carpenter, Peter Bullen, Jeffrey Bussey, Joseph Bodie, Paul Corman-Roberts, Elise Hunter, Jessica Hahn, Daniel Riddle Rodriguez + Simon Crafts
December 5 @ The Emerald Tablet: artist reception from 6pm to 10pm for our first full gallery exhibition, with Maga Rincon, Luis Pinto, Fuzz Grant, Wesley Powell, Tanya Hollis, Adam Carlin, Nigel Sussman, Cate White, Todd T. Brown, and our directors, Sidney Stretz and Laura Ceron Melo. Check out some of their work in the show:
Advance tickets are recommended; between contributors and performers the 91-capacity is starting out ~ half full.
Food menu and full bar available. Come early and admire the magazine, mingle with a bunch of budding brilliant minds, and raise a glass to 5 more years of Quiet Lightning.
- Writing: January 5 literary mixtape to be curated by Sara Marinelli, Shideh Etaat + Evan Karp @ a venue TBD through Wed, 12/17
- Visual art: The first round of our yearlong ekphrastic project through 12/21
• Feb 15 Chemical Wedding @ The Emerald Tablet, w/readings by Sarah Griffin, Juliana Delgado Lopera, Bill Hughes, and Nora Toomey, and music by Alphadog (Kristina Dutton and Teddy Rankin-Parker) and Taylor Jacobs! | Tickets • RSVP
• Apr 4 @ Mercury Cafe
the generation of literature