- other projects
Quiet Lightning is seeking writing of all forms for a literary mixtape to be published and performed live as part of SOMArts Cultural Center’s annual late night multimedia garden party Night Light.
Black Salt Collective @ Night Light 2015 by J. Astra Brinkmann
Now entering its sixth year, Night Light blankets SOMArts in- and outdoors in luminous art installations, with audiovisual performances, performative interventions, and digital and cinematic projections. In 2015, 80+ artists participated, drawing a crowd of over 1,500 people.
Night Light’s 2016 curatorial theme, “Breaking the Code,” is informed by and complements SOMArts’ Main Gallery exhibition The Black Woman Is God: Reprogramming that God Code, curated by Karen Seneferu and Melorra Green, and invites artists of all ages and ethnicities to share works that explore, challenge, and explode identity-based preconceptions and assumptions.
Quiet Lightning has (like last year) a 25-minute set in this show. Submissions are open to all forms and themes, but the mixtape will in some ways address:
How do you reinvent, deconstruct, reshape, or reclaim identity-based codes that affect how you are perceived or how you are expected to behave? How do you subvert? How do you misbehave?
The first 100 humans in attendance shall receive 1 copy of sPARKLE & bLINK.
NOTE: This is a late night show. It will begin at approximately 10pm. All writers with accepted work get free admission to Night Light. Whether you’re accepted or not you should check it out!
[pics from last year’s show]
- Send us any kind of writing. Make up new kinds and send them to us.
- No one gets more than 8 minutes of reading time. This varies of course but don’t send us more than 1,500 words unless you’ve timed the piece multiple times and your speedy performance of the text somehow enhances it. We sometimes make an exception to this rule, but rarely.
- You may submit more than one attachment, but the word count of your entire submission should not exceed 1,500.
- By submitting, you commit to be present for the date: Saturday July 23, 2016.
- Do not put your name anywhere — neither in the submission itself nor in the subject/title/filename of your submission.
- We publish the accepted submissions in sparkle + blink every month. It’s OK to submit previously published writings, but please let us know where they were published so we can give proper attribution.
- You may submit audio, but all submissions must include full text.
Night Light 2015 by Carli Choi